2015 July ARRL Board Minutes: Dumbing Down Ham Radio
ARRL POISED TO ELIMINATE ALL LICENSE CLASS AND MODE SUB BANDS ON ALL HF BANDS!
31. On motion of Mr. Norris, seconded by Mr. Lisenco, it was VOTED that the amendments to
the ARRL HF band plan as recommended in the July 2015 report of the HF Band Planning
Committee are adopted.
FOR ARTICLE WITH GRAPHICS, SEE: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/2015/January/SUMNER%20QS4.pdf
4. To provide RTTY/data privileges to Novice and Technician licensees in their 15-meter band segment and in their 80-meter band segment, the latter contingent upon the FCC extending the sub-band up to 3650 kHz.
Mr. Norton moved, seconded by Mr. Isely, to amend the motion, replacing clauses 1-4 with “Eliminate FCC subband regulation in the 80-meter band which will result in regulation consistent with that of the 160-meter band.” After discussion, a roll call vote being requested, Mr. Norton voted aye and all other Directors voted nay so the amendment was DEFEATED.
After further discussion, the motion without amendment was ADOPTED.
40. Mr. Abernethy moved, seconded by Mr. Rehman that the HF Band Planning Committee is directed to poll the Amateur community concerning the possible elimination of FCC subband regulations for mode and/or license class on the 80 through 10 meter bands. The possible elimination would align regulation with what is presently done for the USA’s 160-meter band and all Canadian bands. After discussion, a roll call vote being requested, the motion was DEFEATED with Directors Abernethy, Rehman, and Norton voting aye and all other Directors voting nay.
SERIOUSLY DISCUSSING THIS IS A CLOSE CALL THIS TIME! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT TIME?
|Tom Abernethy||W3TOM||Atlantic Divisionfirstname.lastname@example.org||301-272-0629|
|George R. Isely||W9GIG||Central Divisionemail@example.com||630-584-3510|
|Mike Lisenco||N2YBB||Hudson Divisionfirstname.lastname@example.org||917-865-3538|
|Douglas Rehman||K4AC||Southeastern Divisionemail@example.com||352-600-2960|
|Dick Norton||N6AA||Southwestern Divisionfirstname.lastname@example.org||310-455-1138|
|David Norris||K5UZ||Delta Divisionemail@example.com||870-613-1606 cel, 501-569-2372|
READ K7GO RESPONSE TO SAILNET:
SEE COMMENTS OF MEMBER OF HF BAND PLANNING COMMITTEE WHO DISAGREES:
This document is the property of AB2RA Janis Carson and may be reproduced and distributed freely without charge if whole document is to be unedited. Credit for its publication should be to me. Any comments you have should be separate. I encourage you to join a grassroots effort by circulating this widely at ham fests, ham clubs or on line to alert the amateur community to what is happening.
FILE YOUR COMMENT ON RM-11708 TODAY!
For a printable copy of this webpage, click here:
• July2015ARRLBoardSummary.odt (28.7k Open Office Text file, 2 pages). (Open Office available here.)
• July2015ARRLBoardSummary.doc (32k MS Office™ DOC file, 2 pages).
• July2015ARRLBoardSummary.pdf (81.1k Adobe™ PDF file, 2 pages).